Tragedy as girl, 16, dies at house party after inhaling laughing gas

Tragedy as ‘amazing’ girl, 16, dies at house party moments after inhaling ‘hippy crack’: Family issue warning after asthmatic teen complained of feeling ‘too hot’ then collapsed

  • Kayleigh Burns, 16, was at a house party in Leamington Spa when she collapsed 
  • She had taken laughing gas earlier in the evening before saying she was ‘too hot’
  • The young woman tragically died after being rushed to hospital on June 4
  • Her family paid tribute to the ‘amazing’ 16 year-old and mourned her loss 

Tributes have been paid to an ‘amazing’ 16 year-old who died after inhaling laughing gas at a house party.

Kayleigh Burns, an asthmatic, collapsed at a house party in Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, shortly after being filmed taking laughing gas.

The exact cause of Kayleigh’s death has not been revealed.

Her sister, Clare Baker, 31, said she received a message from one of Kayleigh’s friends on the night of June 4 saying she had been rushed to hospital in an ambulance.

Clare desperately called several hospitals in the area as she tried to find out if her little sister was okay. 

Merseyside Police came to her home later that day to tell her Kayleigh, who was just weeks away from turning 17, had died.

Kayleigh Burns, 16, an asthmatic, collapsed at a house party in Leamington Spa and died after being rushed to hospital 

Kayleigh’s sister Clare called her ‘the most amazing little girl ever’ after her tragic death 

Nitrous oxide (N20), commonly known as laughing gas or nos, is an anaesthetic gas

It is used recreationally using metal canisters and whipped cream chargers

The gas dissolves into the bloodstream quickly, reaching the brain in seconds 

The effects, which include laughing and minor hallucination are strong but short-lived

Nitrous Oxide prevents oxygen from reaching the blood, causing a rapid heartbeat and tingling limbs 

The gas is relatively low risk but oxygen starvation can be fatal in severe doses 

Gas being released from its canister can cause freezing temperatures of -40C which can cause frostbite on skin or internally when inhaled directly from the canister 


Source: Drug Science 



Clare, from North Liverpool, said: ‘My sister was only 16, almost 17, and she was the most amazing little girl ever. The bond that we had, I can’t even describe.

‘Kayleigh grew up and had a good childhood and she was in a loving family. As she grew older she got mixed up with the wrong sort of people.

‘She was interested in make-up and fashion and wanted to travel the world. She wanted to be an air hostess or work on the cruises and her life was taken away from her.’

Clare said Kayleigh moved to Coventry to live with her girlfriend, before moving to Leamington Spa. She had visited her family a week before her death.

People who were at the house party sent Kayleigh’s family videos of the asthmatic teen inhaling nitrous oxide. 

Later, she complained of feeling ‘too hot’ before she collapsed and an ambulance was called.

Kayleigh’s family suggested laughing gas had caused her death.  

Clare told The ECHO: ‘I will be missing a huge piece of my heart for the rest of my life now and I don’t know how I’m going to go on without her. But I need to because I have kids.

‘I want people to think about what they are taking before they take it because they’re going to leave people behind who love them. People may think it is a laugh and a joke, but it’s not, they’re playing with their lives.

‘I want it (nitrous oxide) to be banned. They have upped the legal age of buying it in America today to 21. I know people use it in the food industry, but I think there sound be some sort of ID card or at least an age requirement.

‘I don’t want this to happen to anybody else. We have lost our Kayleigh forever now.’

Warwickshire Police was contacted for comment.  

Source: Read Full Article