Dad who lost four 'lovely' boys in Sutton fire says their Christmas presents are still under the tree

A GRIEVING dad who lost four boys to a housefire in Sutton says their Christmas presents are still under the tree.

Dalton Hoath is devastated after losing his four footie-mad twins Kyson and Bryson aged four and Leyton and Logan aged three one week ago.

Looking ahead to Christmas, Dalton says December 25 will be like any other day but a heartbreaking reminder of his loss is never far.

He told ITV News: "I’ve got Christmas presents sat under the tree for them but where they’re not going to enjoy them I feel like I should donate them maybe to a hospital or a charity, so that some children somewhere will get to use them and that will make my sons proud,” he said.

“I bought them little trainers and clothes, I got them some superhero figures, there’s so much I couldn’t even name a list.

“But I just feel it would be better if I gave them to someone who can enjoy them.”

The brothers are thought to have been home alone amid claims their mum had gone shopping in Sutton, South London.

The 28-year-old doting father told The Sun his life will never be the same.

Dalton said: “I’ll never get to take them to their first game. I’m devastated.

“Their first football game was all they were talking about. Now I won’t be able to see them playing or watching football. 

“It would have been passing down a tradition as the family have supported Wimbledon for years. 

“They were bright, caring, loveable boys. I don’t know how I will carry on. It’s a miracle I haven’t lost the plot already.”

The boys’ mum Deveca Rose, 27 — who is separated from Dalton — got back from Sainsbury’s, five minutes’ walk away, to find the house ablaze.

Sixty firefighters got to the scene in under three minutes and tried to rescue the boys. Medics carried out CPR outside the house where the brothers’ unopened Christmas gifts lay under the tree in cinders.

They were taken to hospital from the home in Collingwood Road, Sutton, South London, shortly after 7pm on Thursday but pronounced dead from smoke inhalation. 

Most read in The Sun


Meg & Harry beam 'Lili made us a family' as they share first pic of daughter


Kate Garraway's heartbreaking update on Derek Draper ahead of Christmas


Boris issues booster call to arms as positive data raises hopes for New Year


Boris will NOT announce any lockdown restrictions before Christmas

One theory is the fire was started by faulty fairy lights that may have set alight the PVC front door.

Neighbours said Deveca, thought to be an NHS care worker, had earlier gone to Sainsbury’s, leaving the boys home alone.

A neighbour in her 40s, who did not want to be named, said: “The boys were laid out in a row on the pavement and the firemen were trying to resuscitate them.”

Police said they arrested a woman aged 27 on suspicion of neglect on Thursday night.

She was still being quizzed in custody last night, with nurses present to provide assistance.

The boys’ grandad Jason Hoath, a security officer at AFC Wimbledon, spent the night and yesterday comforting Dalton. Jason said: “I’ve just left my son. He’s devastated. We all are. I’ve lost four grandchildren and he’s lost his kids as well.

“It’s all the more heartbreaking because their presents were piled under the tree ready.

“We don’t know what happened and are just waiting for the police to get back to us.”

Jason went to hospital with Dalton to identify the children and said they had “looked like angels”.

It is thought they were overcome from smoke and died before the firefighters could reach them.

AFC Wimbledon had been planning to wear black armbands and hold a minute’s silence at Saturday’s home match with Portsmouth before it was postponed by Covid. 

Jason said his grandsons, nicknamed The Quad by neighbours, couldn’t wait for their first match.

He said: “Everyone was looking forward to Christmas and after the holidays in the New Year the boys were going to their first game. They loved playing football. We are all big Wimbledon fans and were going to take them there. I have some wonderful memories of us playing football in the summer with the boys in their England shirts as we watched the Euros. We had some lovely parties together. 


FOUR blue teddy bears were among heartbreaking tributes left at the scene of the fire which has consumed the area with shock and grief.

Dozens of locals, many in tears, laid flowers and messages of condolence by the police cordon.

Another black and white bear was left next to a candle with the message “RIP sweet little ones”. St Nicholas Church, whose spire is visible from the scene, opened its doors for people needing to pray.

Parish priest Frances Arnold said: “Those who have come in have been shocked and wanting to find somewhere to go. We’re really shocked by the tragic loss of the children.” The house where the four died is also close to the ground of League Two football side Sutton United, whose manager left club scarves at the scene yesterday. 

 Matt Gray said: “For such a tragic event to happen on our doorstep, we just wanted to come and pay our respects. It’s just a huge shock and absolutely devastating.”

“I can’t believe this has happened. He (Dalton) would have been over in a shot if she (Deveca) needed someone to look after the boys.

“He really loved them as he does the children he has with his new partner.” 

Sherry Williams, Deveca’s mum and the boys’ gran, declined to comment at her home in Mitcham, South West London, last night.

 A source said: “She’s been in touch with the boys’ family to say how sorry she is and that she just doesn’t know what happened.

“She hasn’t had a chance to speak with Deveca because she is at the police station and is with police and nurses as she’s in such a bad way.

“They (Deveca and Dalton) had their ups and downs like any other split-up couple but they got on with each other for the sake of the children.” Police said it is likely to take several days before the cause is established. The blaze ripped through the ground floor and turned the PVC-covered front door into an inferno.

Fire crews got the blaze under control just after 8.30pm on Thursday 16 December.

One neighbour told how she tried to revive the boys. She said: “I was driving past as the fire started. It was so shocking. I jumped out of my car and got involved.

“The boy had his school jacket on. It was awful. I did not take it in at the time and I’ve not slept since. I got asked if anyone could do CPR and I could so I tried when they came out. Then the paramedics arrived.

“I really thought they were going to be OK. It’s heartbreaking, beyond tragic. I can’t get the images out of my head. It will really stay with me.

“I tried my best, everyone did. Those poor boys. They had everything to live for.”

London Fire Commissioner Andy Roe said firefighters were “numb with profound sadness”.

Mr Roe added: “My thoughts are with the family and friends of the children, the whole local community and all those who will be affected by this fire. Crews arrived quickly and located the children inside the property. They were brought out of the house and given immediate emergency care.

“The welfare of our staff involved in this incident is very important to us and all will be offered counselling as a priority.”

London Ambulance Service’s Brian Jordan said its crews were trained to deal with situations like this but the fact the boys were so young, and it was so close to Christmas made it very difficult. Westbourne Primary School, where the eldest twins attended, said its entire community were devastated by the tragic loss.

It added: “Our hearts, thoughts and prayers are with the family and anyone else affected by this heartbreaking event.

“We will continue to support the children, the staff, the families and the community through these very difficult times.” Nursery teachers and wellwishers visited the scene yesterday to lay flowers and toys.

    Source: Read Full Article