BRITS are allowed into Portugal from today, marking a welcome return for holidaymakers to the country.
The country's foreign minister confirmed last week that the Portugal would be welcoming tourists back for a well-earned holiday – and we've found great deals from £131 per person.
Last week there were fears that UK tourists could be turned away at the border due to the current EU travel ban.
However, the country's foreign minister confirmed on Friday that Brits will just need a negative Covid test to enter from today, following last-minute talks.
Portugal was added to the UK's green list on May 7, meaning UK travellers can go on holiday from today without having to quarantine when returning toEngland.
As one of the few countries on the green list, airlines and tour operators have launched thousands of flights and deals to cope with demand, with even plans for a UK-Portugal ferry route.
Despite the demand, those keen to jet off abroad can still find some bargains:
- British Airways Holidays 4-night Porto holidays from £450.50pp
- British Airways Holidays 7-night Algarve holidays in 4 & 5* star hotels from £303pp
- Easyjet Holidays 7-night Algarve holidays in June from £256pp
- TUI Algarve deals in September and October from £290pp
- Jet2 Holidays September 7-night self-catering holidays from £364pp
- Jet2 Holidays September 7-night all-inclusive holidays from £499pp
- Easyjet Holidays 7-night stay at Mirachoro II apartments Praia da Rocha in June from £256pp
- Thomas Cook September 7-nights self-catering holidays from £206pp
- Love Holidays 7-night holidays in July from £131pp
- Travel Republic 7-night holidays in July from £231pp
A statement from the Portuguese National Tourist Office on Friday confirmed: "The Portuguese Minister of State for Foreign Affairs announced today that British Tourists will be allowed to enter Portugal as of the 00:00 of 17th of May, next Monday."
"This decision, will revoke the essential travel restrictions, that is in place until the 16th of May. Any person entering Portugal will have, in any case, to have an RT-PCR test done 72hr before the departure."
This week’s best deals on holidays abroad
- Get Universal Orlando theme park tickets for adults at kids’ prices
- Portugal makes green list – find cheap holidays from £131pp
- Gibraltar holidays from £105pp as country makes UK green list
- Cheap Portugal villa holidays and all inclusive hotels
- Flights for Portugal in June from £10
- TUI launches summer sale with £50 off Portugal hols or £100 off Greece & Malta
Today is the official start date for holidays abroad, as set out in Step 3 of the roadmap out of lockdown.
Although holidays to Portugal are able to go ahead, the UK is not currently on the EU-exemption list for travel and Portugal has also extended its "state of calamity" until May 30, despite having opened their borders yesterday.
While Brits won't have to quarantine when returning to the UK from a green destination, a pre-arrival test and a Covid test on day two are still required.
If you're looking for more foreign holiday inspiration, we've found cheap all inclusive holidays for this summer and there are many cheap package holidays.
For breaks in the UK, holiday parks are offering huge bargains and we've found the best UK holiday parks with children’s entertainment and the best holiday parks with outdoor pools.
We've also rounded up great deals in the UK's warmest places and found the best kid-friendly beaches and England's best family-friendly seaside towns.
This article and any featured products have been independently chosen by The Sun journalists. All recommendations within the article are informed by expert editorial opinion. If you click a link and buy a product we may earn revenue: this helps to support The Sun, and in no way affects our recommendations.
Source: Read Full Article