Docs remove 8 inch bottle from man’s stomach – but he won’t say how it got there

A 55-year-old man had to undergo emergency surgery after an eight-inch plastic bottle became lodged in his stomach.

An eye-watering X-ray image clearly shows the bottle lodged in the man’s abdomen.

The man, from central India's Madhya Pradesh, had reportedly swallowed the Nihar Shanti Amla hair oil bottle whole, although it is still not entirely clear how the sizeable item ended up in his stomach.

READ MORE: Bloke gets 2kg dumbbell stuck up his bum and medics have to remove it with their hands

Specialist laparoscopic surgeon Manoj Chowdhary managed to remove the bottle intact after a lengthy life-saving operation on May 16.

The man is being kept under observation following the surgery, but fuller details of the bizarre event have not been released due to conditions of patient confidentiality.

Emergency room nurses regularly see patients who have lost an object after inserting it into their anus. According to a report from the Royal College of Surgeons, NHS hospitals removed some 3,500 objects from patients’ anuses between 2010 and 2019.

These items range can from vibrators to live artillery shells.

The motive is usually sexual, or occasionally criminal. Other items retrieved from mens’ bottoms by doctors range from vegetables, torches, and in one particularly horrifying example, a slimy 15-inch eel.

  • Man’s penis may never work after wife put expanding foam inside it for erection

But in this case, the man is understood to be suffering from a rare psychological ailment known as Deliberate Foreign Body Ingestion (DFBI).

This compulsive disorder leads sufferers to swallow items – such as keys, coins, or in this case a good-sized green plastic bottle.

According to medical journal General Hospital Psychiatry, as many as 1,500 people die annually in the United States as a result of foreign body ingestion

  • Surgeon 'hounded out of job' by sexist colleagues after removing item in patient's anus

Smaller items are usually retrieved with the patient conscious, but under sedation. Doctors use an endoscope to image the object and lasso it.

In this case, though, the bottle was simply too large to risk passing though the man’s throat a second time and Dr Chowdhary, a noted laparoscopic specialist was called in to retrieve the item surgically.

Stay in the loop with all the latest Daily Star news by signing up for one of our free newsletters here.


  • Squirrel takes refuge in family’s Christmas tree after wild chase caught on camera
  • Teenager finds anonymous online bully who harassed her for a year is actually her mum
  • Spanish lags carve Christmas decorations of Kate, William and Queen with their bums out
  • 'I can make any man fall in love with me – and it cost one bloke his life'

Source: Read Full Article