AS ALL of us who have been through school know, there's usually a strict dress code that students are expected to adhere to.
But one mum found to her horror that it applied to her too when she was barred from enrolling her teenage daughter in classes because her own dress was "too short".
Joselyn Lewis was attempting to sign up her 15-year-old at James Madison High School in Houston, Texas when a female administrator stopped her stepping foot on the premises.
The woman – who was wearing a Marilyn Monroe printed black T-shirt dress and orange head scarf with white flip-flops – was told her clothing was not acceptable.
"She said that my head scarf was out of dress code and my dress was too short,” the shocked parent told local news outlet KPRC.
Thinking that she had been mistaken for a pupil, the mum quickly explained that she was simply coming to enrol her daughter.
But to her surprise the school employee still insisted that Joselyn "was not in dress code".
“I could see if it’s a student. Yes, they have a dress code, I understand that,” she said.
“But I’m not a student, so I have no dress code. So who are you to tell me how to dress?”
She said she believed her dress would pass the 'fingertip test' – where if your middle finger, when you hang your hands by your sides, goes further than your hem it is deemed too short – and that she was wearing a head scarf because she was in the process of having her hair done.
However, Joselyn argued that what she was wearing shouldn't have mattered anyway as she is not a pupil.
"I wanted to see proof of where it says parents can come dressed a certain way, but it wouldn’t show me that," she added.
Because she wouldn't leave the school called the police, according to reports.
Joselyn has revealed she has called the school board over the matter and would be planning to return to try and enrol her daughter for a second time.
Yesterday, we told you how two mums had very different experiences of home birth.
A brave girl, three, who is battling cancer has got Disney 'tattoo' sleeves done on both arms.
And an overwhelmed mum was "given a break" by a kind air hostess who calmed down her 19-month-old baby after she had a meltdown on flight.
Source: Read Full Article