I'm a vet – here are seven treats you should never feed your dog as they may kill them | The Sun

VETERINARIANS are raising the alarm about seven foods you should never give your dog – and some could be fatal.

The LSU School of Veterinary Medicine on TikTok document their experiences with animals who come into their surgery.

In the clip, one veterinarian interviews a selection of her colleagues to find out what treats and toys they swear against giving to their dogs.


"I would not give it grapes or raisins", one interviewee said.

"They are toxic and can damage the kidneys."

Research has yet to pinpoint exactly which substance in the fruit causes this reaction.

read more in fabulous

From break-up songs to feuds, how Taylor Swift became pop’s hottest commodity

I’m a parenting expert – here are my top tips to keep your kids safe on holiday


Bacon is also off the menu for pooches.

Their "high fat" content can result in an upset stomach and could trigger more serious health issues like pancreatis – a serious, potentially deadly inflammation of the pancreas.


For another vet – one sweet treat in particular is never kept close to her furry friend.

Tickling her pooch's ear, she said: "I would never give my boy chocolate because chocolate is bad for him."

Most read in Fabulous


'Sad' King Charles is 'increasingly frustrated at Harry's behaviour'


I'm a hotel manager – here is why you should NEVER use the room's shower gel


Fashion fans rushing to Next to snap up a dress that costs just £14


I married a man who didn’t speak my language, says Kelly Brook

Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine, which is toxic to dogs and can lead to seizures and heart failure in extreme cases.

Corn on the Cob

While not a toxic food choice, corn on the cob can "obstruct intestines" – and should always be out of your dog's reach.

Corn cobs are also a choking hazard for pooches – who may bite off pieces of the cob that can get lodged in their throats. 

Jerky treats

Jerky treats can also result in health complications for man's best friend.

The beloved meaty snack has been linked to Fanconi syndrome in dogs – a kidney disease which can cause a cluster of problems including vomiting, diarrhoea and accelerated weight loss.

Gummy bears

For another vet, gummy bears were an absolute no-no for her pup.

Regular gummy bears are full of sugar, though it may surprise you to know that their sugar-free alternatives are far worse.

The latter contain xylitol, an artificial sweetener which is extremely toxic and life-threatening when consumed by dogs.

Hard chew toys

Away from edible treats, hard chew toys were cited as something they wouldn't want their dog gnawing on.

"Any hard chew toys could risk fracturing teeth", one interviewee said.

Read more on The Sun

Danniella Westbrook glams up and shows off real face after surgery on night out

Urgent warning to dog owners over common household item that could kill your pet

Source: Read Full Article