Family’s holiday hell as dad gets tropical bug and ceiling collapses in floods

A family claims their trip of a lifetime to Mexico turned into a holiday from hell when their hotel flooded, their daughter hurt her head and dad caught a tropical bug.

The Madley family splashed out £3,000 on the two-week trip to make amazing family memories – but instead they said it was unforgettable for all the the wrong reasons.

The say they were forced to paddle through water every day after heavy rain brought down part of the ceiling at the Bahia Principe Coba Hotel in Riviera Maya, Yucatan.

And they say nine-year-old Madison suffered a head injury after slipping on a wet floor during their stay.

To make matters worse, Scott, 29, says he contracted cyclospora, a tropical bug known as ‘traveller’s diarrhoea’.

The British Gas engineer claims the coffee machine, fridge and spa bath in their room was faulty, the air conditioning only worked intermittently, and the beach was smelly and bore little resemblance to the glossy brochure pictures.

He and his wife, Tammy, 27, from Pontefract, West Yorkshire, are demanding that holiday firm TUI urgently investigate what went wrong for the health and safety of other holidaymakers.

Scott took to social media at the weekend to vent his frustration at the holiday company and share pictures of the hotel after their holiday in June.

He wrote: "Upon arrival our room was flooded. We reported it immediately and it was mopped out.

"It became apparent that the leak was coming through the ceiling and a simple mop up wasn’t going to solve the issue.

"I reported it to the TUI representative who was not interested and stated everyone has room problems."

He added: "Then a few days later at 5:30am I was woken by a loud crash. The ceiling had fallen down. The same one I had been reporting."

Scott added that it took a full day for the ceiling collapsed to be cleared up, and that water was still coming through the family’s hotel room ceiling.

"We had to paddle through water in our room and waste all our towels daily to try to make the floor not so slippy.

"Two days before we were due to come home our nine-year-old daughter had an accident going to the bathroom – due to the flooded floor.

"Upon returning home I then have a confirmed case of cyclospora."

Scott attached a photograph of the hotel corridor when the ceiling had collapsed, left debris all over the floor and a gaping hole above.

In other images taken by the family during their stay, water can be seen dripping through the light fitting in the bathroom and show soggy towels strewn across the floor in an attempt to mop it up.

Speaking today, Scott said: "Safe to say all in all the holiday was a complete disaster.

"This was supposed to be a time of relaxation and making memories.

"Not mopping up water and wasting our time constantly reporting issues and waiting for people that never turn up along with accidents.

"I will be looking to start legal proceedings if they do not have this investigated properly and provide me with a satisfactory response and resolution."

Scott added that the family had to deal with many other problems which he believes were caused by the leaks – including constant dripping from the ceiling, intermittent air con and flickering lights.

He said: "It was interesting that all the electrical appliances within the room appeared to be faulty when water was leaking through. It was probably the cause of all this."

On his tropical bug, Scott said: "I went to the doctors and got antibiotics, took stool samples for parasites and disease. The main ones came back and nothing was found.

"The doctor advised a lot of cases of Cyclospora have been reported and symptoms stemmed towards it being this.

"I had severe stomach cramps and diarrhoea and ended up taking three weeks off work. I’m still not great now. But much better than I was."

The family were also annoyed by the pictures used by the travel company to advertise the Mexican resort against what it actually looked like, which they said was a beach covered in seaweed and was "rotten".

Read More

Top Stories from Mirror Online

  • Puppy and kitten farming to be BANNED
  • Loch Ness Monster spotted by girl, 12
  • Diana’s ex-bodyguard attacks Royals
  • Russia’s new ‘walking army robot’

Scott has advised TUI that he wants a full investigation "to be completed and compensation awarded along with acknowledgment of their neglect and an apology.

He added: "I would like to see what they believe is a fair settlement once they have completed their investigation."

A spokesman for TUI, said: "We are sorry to hear about the Madley family’s experience on their recent holiday to Mexico and we will be contacting Mr Madley directly to discuss the issues raised.

"We’d like to reassure customers that we regularly audit all of the hotels we feature in respect of health and safety."

Source: Read Full Article