Crowds flee in panic as 980ft skyscraper shakes and sways back and forth in China as experts say they don't know why

CROWDS of people were seen fleeing in a panic as a 980ft skyscraper in China swayed back and forth on Tuesday afternoon.

The SEG Plaza building started to wobble as more than 70 storeys were evacuated in chaotic scenes in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen – with experts still unsure what caused the rocking.

No earthquakes were recorded at the time – and it is unclear what made the 300m building sway.

The 20-year-old SEG Plaza houses an electronics market and offices in the middle of the Chinese city – which known for its booming tech industry.

Horrifying footage shared on social media showed hundreds of people running away from the skyscraper shortly after it was evacuated.

Shouts and honking car horns could be heard as residents ran from the scene. 

The local government of Shenzhen's Futian district received reports of shaking from staff inside the building at 12.31pm local time, according to local media.

By 2pm everyone inside the building had been evacuated, Global Times said.

Despite the swaying, no cracks in the ground surrounding the building were found, nor was there any damage to pieces of outer walls – according to a preliminary investigation.

Earlier this year, a massive explosion at a government office in China has left several people dead.

Video taken at the scene of the blast in Mingjing village in the south of the county shows rubble strewn inside the office after parts of it collapsed.

Harrowing footage from inside the building shows bodies lying underneath rubble and blood on the walls.

One witness told Beijing Tou Tiao she was working when she heard an explosion and the sound of glass smashing.

“At the time I thought it was a car crash but then I saw smoke coming out of the committee office and heard people saying that they suspected there had been an explosion,” she said.

The village is in the Panyu District of Guangzhou city, which is also a province of China.

The local public security office confirmed that a “fatal incident” had occurred.

    Source: Read Full Article