According to Turkish newspaper Hurriyet, CIA director Gina Haspel signalled to Turkish officials last month the agency had a recording of a call in which Mohammed bin Salman gave his order.
Khashoggi, 59, was killed in the country's Istanbul consulate in October by a lethal injection dose after a struggle and his body was dismembered then taken out of the building, a Saudi prosecutor has said.
Prominent Turkish columnist Abdulkadir Selvi said a call took place between Prince Mohammed and his brother, Saudi Arabia's ambassador to Washington, which the CIA monitored.
“It is said that the crown prince gave an instruction to silence Jamal Khashoggi as soon as possible and this instruction was captured during the CIA wiretapping,” wrote Selvi in Hurriyet.
“The subsequent murder is the ultimate confirmation of this instruction.”
Saudi Arabia and Turkey have been at odds over the alleged killing of Khashoggi, a vocal critic of the Saudi regime.
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has in the past said his country has recordings that incriminate the desert kingdom.
Asked about the report, a Turkish official told Reuters he had no information about such a recording.
Saudi Arabia has said Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman had no prior knowledge of Khashoggi's killing at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul six weeks ago.
The United States has not immediately commented on the Hurriyet claim.
But earlier this week Donald Trump said the CIA had "nothing definitive" on the Crown Prince's involvement in Khashoggi’s death and "very full report" about the US investigation will be produced.
The circumstances surrounding Khashoggi's death sparked controversy, with global leaders blasting the Saudi government's sometimes contradictory version of events.
In the aftermath of his death, later a man strolled out of the diplomatic post apparently wearing the columnist's clothes as part of a macabre deception to sow confusion over the writer's fate.
Surveillance video leaked to CNN showed the imposter wearing Khashoggi's shirt, suit jacket and trousers, although he wore a different pair of shoes.
A Turkish official as described the man as a "body double" and a member of the Saudi team sent to Istanbul to target the writer.
It has been widely reported Khashoggi entered the Saudi consulate in Istanbul shortly after 1pm on October 2.
He wanted to obtain a document certifying he had divorced his ex-wife, so that he could marry his Turkish fiancée Cengiz.
She waited outside – and never saw him again.
Source: Read Full Article