Guto Harri has quit GB News, saying he saw ‘no option’ but to resign after the broadcaster’s response to him taking the knee on air.
He made the gesture in solidarity with the England team, explaining he ‘got’ why they took the knee in opposition to racism ahead of their Euro 2020 matches.
In his resignation letter, obtained by The Independent, Harri spoke about the recent hiring of Nigel Farage, who declared he would ‘not be taking the knee for anyone’ on his programme.
‘Please explain how that does not breach editorial standards but I did,’ Harri’s letter states.
He was reportedly ‘taken off air indefinitely’ amid the heavy backlash from GB News views.
It comes after Farage, announcing he was joining GB News, said: ‘Since politics I have done a fair bit of broadcasting and broadcasting matters, it really, really does.
‘It gets people to look at issues, think about issues in different ways and can be very influential.’
The former leader of the Brexit Party said that he previously did three and a half years working at LBC with what he described as ‘some degree of success’.
‘On YouTube I’ve had millions of people watching my videos and often I’ve covered stories that everybody else wants to ignore,’ he said.
He continued, explaining that his self-titled GB News show is to begin from Monday July 19, airing at from 7pm until 8pm from Monday to Thursday on the channel.
Mr Farage promised to ‘take on the toughest news of the day’, saying that he’ll interview people ‘who really understand their subjects’.
The 55-year-old then took the knee himself. Three days later it was reported he had been ‘indefinitely taken off air’.
GB News declined to comment when contacted by Metro.co.uk.
Got a story?
If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us [email protected], calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.
Source: Read Full Article