Yoenis Cespedes is running, and there is no wild boar in sight.
The oft-injured Mets outfielder tweeted a video Monday showing him running, taking batting practice and catching fly balls at the team’s spring training complex in Port St. Lucie, Fla., continuing in his attempt to return after missing all of last season.
Cespedes shared the 48-second clip with a caption including the hourglass and smiling emojis and the “LGM” hashtag, which stands for “Lets go Mets”.
The 34-year-old power hitter is recovering from multiple fractures in his right ankle, the result of him stepping into a booby-trapped hole to avoid a wild boar on his ranch, as The Post first reported. Cespedes initially was slated to earn $29.5 million in 2020, but after the accident his contract was restructured, costing him a minimum of $15.7 million.
Cespedes signed a four-year, $110 million contract after the 2016 season, but has played just 119 games since due to a variety of injuries.
But Cespedes’ injury misfortunes hasn’t stopped him from hyping up his return in 2020. Earlier this offseason, ESPN analyst and Mets manager candidate Eduardo Perez said on Sirius XM that Cespedes told him, “‘I’m ready and I’m gonna go out with a bang this year and I’m not just gonna hit 40 home runs….I’ll be out there for 140-plus games.’
“He told me he could hit 52 [home runs].”
Cespedes hit a career-high 35 home runs in 2015, when he split the season between the Tigers and Mets, leading the Amazins’ to the World Series, where they lost to the Royals.
Mets GM Brodie Van Wagenen has said there is no timetable for Cespedes’ return.
Source: Read Full Article