A SECOND man has been arrested in connection to the Benjamin Mendy rape investigation as the Manchester City ace appears in court.
The 27-year-old left-back appeared in court today charged with sex attacks on three women – including an alleged assault that was "just days ago".
Mendy showed no emotion as he was remanded in custody following the hearing over the alleged four counts of rape and one of sexual assault.
Tonight, Cheshire Constabulary confirmed a second man has been arrested in connection to the case.
"We can confirm that we have arrested a second man, age 40, in connection to an ongoing investigation into sexual offences at an address in Cheshire," the force told Manchester Evening News.
"The man was arrested earlier this week on suspicion of rape and has been conditionally bailed pending further enquiries."
Mendy was immediately suspended by the football club pending an investigation.
Detectives said the charges relate to three complainants — all over the age of 16 — and are alleged to have taken place between October last year and this month.
Mendy is charged with three counts of rape against a woman at his home address in October last year.
The French international was arrested last November at his £5million home in Prestbury, Cheshire.
He was then released pending further investigation.
Mendy faces another rape charge from the last seven days – when he was still on police bail.
The defender is also accused of sexually assaulting a female in January at his home.
He then faces a final charge of breaking bail conditions this week.
IN THE DOCK
All the charges relate to three different women.
Mendy, who earns £90,000 a week, has been remanded in police custody after appearing before Chester magistrates’ court today.
He arrived at court in a prison van with a police escort this morning.
The DAF van was escorted by a Peugeot 308 police car – before driving into the court building through an open red shutter door, which was then closed behind it.
He was wearing a red hoodie and black jogging bottoms, spoke only to confirm his name, address and date of birth.
In a statement, the club said: “Manchester City can confirm that following his being charged by police today, Benjamin Mendy has been suspended pending an investigation.
“The matter is subject to a legal process and the club is therefore unable to make further comment until that process is complete.”
Cheshire Police said the Crown Prosecution Service authorised the charges to be brought.
Premier League champions Man City spent a reported £49.2million signing Mendy from French side Monaco in 2017.
He last played for the club on August 15 during their 1-0 defeat to Tottenham at the start of the season.
But he was part of the squad that defeated Norwich 5-0 last weekend.
In September last year City boss Pep Guardiola revealed Mendy would be out of the game for at least a month due to an injury.
Source: Read Full Article