Pele plays down concerns over his health with Instagram post claiming he is only in hospital for a ‘monthly visit’ after reports he was admitted with ‘swelling all over and heart failure issues with chemotherapy not working’
- Pele was taken into the Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo earlier this week
- Reports said the former footballer was suffering from ‘swelling and heart issues’
- An update from the hospital said Pele was in a ‘stable condition’ and not in ICU
- Pele himself took to social media to tell his followers he was on a ‘monthly visit’
- The 82-year-old thanked ‘everyone who sends me good vibes’ on Instagram
Brazilian soccer legend Pele on Thursday said in an Instagram post that he is at the hospital for a monthly visit and thanked his supporters for the positive messages he has received.
The 82-year old former forward, known as one of the greatest players of all time, posted a photo in which a picture of his face is projected on a building in Qatar, next to a message which says ‘Get well soon.’
‘Friends, I am at the hospital making my monthly visit,’ he said in the post. ‘It’s always nice to receive positive messages like this. Thanks to Qatar for this tribute, and to everyone who sends me good vibes!’
On Tuesday, Pele was admitted to a hospital in Sao Paulo to re-evaluate a cancer treatment after he had a tumor removed from his colon in September 2021.
Pele, who has led Brazil to three world cup titles – 1958, 1962 and 1970 – has suffered health issues in recent years, but has remained active in social media.
Last month, he said he hoped to see Brazil’s national squad capture a record-extending sixth title in Qatar.
Pele is one of the greatest footballers of all time and won three World Cups with Brazil
Pele announced that he was only in hospital for a ‘monthly visit’ in an Instagram post
The 82-year-old, who is currently undergoing treatment for metastatic cancer, was taken into the Albert Einstein Hospital on Tuesday with swelling all over his body and heart issues.
It was also reported that his chemotherapy treatment is no longer working and Pele was suffering from mental confusion after being admitted.
However, an update from the hospital said the three-time World Cup winner did not need to be admitted to an Intensive Care Unit [ICU].
A statement issued to the Brazilian media said: ‘After medical evaluation, the patient was taken to a common room, without the need for hospitalisation in a semi-intensive unit or ICU.
‘The former player is in full control of vital function and [in a] stable clinical condition.’
Brazilian football legend Pele, 82, is in a ‘stable condition’ in hospital and not in intensive care after he was admitted on Tuesday suffering from ‘swelling and heart failure issues’
The hospital confirmed Pele had been taken into hospital ‘for a reassessment of the chemotherapy treatment of the colon tumour identified in September 2021.’
There is no time frame on Pele’s hospital stay, and his wife Marcia Aoki and carer are by his bedside.
However, Pele’s daughter Kely Nascimento, who is not in Brazil, had insisted on Tuesday that there was no need for alarm and that her father’s hospital admission is ‘no surprise or emergency’.
She posted on Instagram: ‘Lots of alarm in the media today concerning my dad’s health. He is in the hospital regulating medication.
Pele’s wife and carer took him to hospital earlier this week but his condition is now stable
Pele’s daughter Kely Nascimento insisted there was no need for alarm in a social media post
‘There is no emergency or new dire prediction. I will be there for New Year’s and promise to post some pictures.’
Pele scored 655 goals in 700 club career games, while he netted 77 times in 92 caps for Brazil
Pele was hospitalised for six days last year and underwent surgery to remove a tumour in his colon. The Globo news site in Brazil said Pele was undergoing routine examinations in Sao Paulo’s Albert Einstein Hospital when the undisclosed issue was detected.
Taking on social media at the time, Pele allayed any fears over his health.
‘My friends, thank you very much for the kind messages,’ he wrote on Instagram.
‘I thank God for feeling very well and for allowing Dr Fabio and Dr Miguel to take care of my health.
‘Last Saturday I underwent surgery to remove a suspicious lesion in the right colon. The tumour was identified during the tests I mentioned last week.
‘Fortunately, I’m used to celebrating great victories alongside you. I will face this match with a smile on my face, a lot of optimism and joy for living surrounded by the love of my family and friends.’
Pele has been in poor in health in recent years with a number of visits to the hospital
In 2020, Pele’s son said his father was depressed over his poor health and reluctant to leave the house because he cannot walk without assistance, although Pele later publicly denied that statement.
The Brazilian had said: ‘I am good. I continue to accept my physical limitations in the best way possible but I intend to keep the ball rolling.
‘I have good days and bad days. That is normal for people of my age. I am not afraid, I am determined, confident in what I do.’
Pele is regarded as one of the greatest footballers in history and is the only player to win three World Cups.
He scored 655 goals in 700 club career games, while he also netted 77 times in 92 caps for Brazil.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article