Tube passenger trapped in abandoned station after somehow getting off train

A man got off a tube train when it was stopped in a disused station, getting trapped there for a week, according to a legend remembered in a London Underground staff magazine.

The unlucky man somehow got off the train and didn't initially realise he was in the abandoned station called South Kentish Town.

The spooky event was remembered in an article in the London Underground staff magazine, T.O.T.

It was immortalised in a poem called The Tale of Mr Brackett, about a man who stepped off a train at an abandoned station because he was so engrossed in his newspaper, My London reported.

First of all, it was so dark he thought he had gone blind. But eventually, he lit a match and it illuminated a station name board and he realised what had happened.

He desperately tried to flag down passing trains, but none of them stopped and he had to stay on the platform all night long.

In fact, he remained in the station all week, and he was only discovered after he tore some posters off the wall and set fire to them with his last match.

Eventually a driver stopped his train and picked him up.

The horrifying story was illustrated with six drawings by FH Stingemore – a man who was responsible for designing London Underground maps at the time.

The incident was later made into a kind of horror story in a radio broadcast read out by Sir John Betjeman on the BBC.

For the latest breaking news stories and incredible tales from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

In this version of the story, the desperate passenger went as far as climbing the lift shaft to try to get out before he was eventually rescued by track workers.

In 1997 it even made it onto a television programme which implied the entire story was true.

The editor of T.O.T. later insisted the stories were based on a real passenger who got off the train by mistake but the legends grew around it were all fictional.

The full story of the station can be found in JE Connor's book, 'London's Disused Underground Stations'.

The lost station in Camden originally opened way back in 1907. At the time it was on the Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway.

The street-level building was built on the West side of Kentish Town Road, close to the junction of Castle Road.

The station was originally meant to be known as Castle Road, but the railway company decided against it and eventually painted over these signs that had been created in the tunnels.

The station was never very busy, however, and when it closed during a strike at a nearby power station in 1924, it never reopened.

Source: Read Full Article