Curiosity may have killed the cat, but dogs seem to survive okay, despite eating some bizarre and dangerous objects.
Anyone who owns dogs knows that those naughty little creatures will eat anything they can get their jaws around. Whether it's shoes, phone chargers, sofa seats or all of your clothes – to your pup, that's fine dining.
But these common items are nothing compared to the shocking items that vets at PDSA ( People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals) retrieve from their bodies.
Over the years, these talented vets have seen some bizarre cases, where they have found something incredibly dangerous for the dog but the pup still survived to bark another day.
One such case is that of Macie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, for example, whose X-ray showed she had swallowed an eight-inch kitchen knife (she recovered), TeamDogs reports.
The vet in charge, Emily Ronald, said she’d never seen an X-ray like it before. Macie was only 12 weeks old when the incident happened. Luckily, the knife went down handle first – if it had been the other way round, there is no way she would have survived.
Blue, a Whippet, swallowed some Ecstasy tablets when out for a walk. She recovered from her encounter with Class As after a night in hospital.
Chase had a ‘Despicable’ time when he swallowed an egg – a chocolate egg (toxic to dogs) with a plastic Minion inside. He lived to tell the tale.
Puppy Domino ate a hearing aid – not the most digestible of items. She had an emergency operation and survived.
Rottweiler Broxi had a needle lodged in the back of her throat – and it was still threaded!
Join our brand new sister website TeamDogs today!
It's a place where you can share a picture of your dog in our Top Dogs feed and share your doggy advice.
The vet in charge used the thread to ease the needle out, saving her from a tricky operation. Broxi was lucky – if the needle had reached her spinal cord, it could have caused meningitis or left her paralysed.
Some dogs like to help with housework. Shih Tzu Alfie took this to another level by swallowing a kitchen scourer. Luckily, after an injection to make him sick, Alfie vomited up the abrasive sponge.
Diesel ate the top of a baby’s bottle. It created a clear image in the X-ray and vets soon had him back on his feet.
Last Christmas, a Great Dane cross called Dexter got into the festive mood by consuming three feet of tinsel, which the vet was able to pull out from his stomach in one piece!
Super shy bulldog struggles to make new pals on first day at puppy school
Cooper, a Yorkie, was another canine patient with an unusual appetite. X-rays showed an unidentified mass in his stomach – PDSA vets operated to discover 22 hair bobbles and a button.
Then there is the case of Beagle-Harrier cross Beau, who swallowed nine socks – all recovered by Vets4Pets in Lisburn, Co Antrim, as reported in Teamdogs.
Last but not least we have Hector, a pebble-obsessed Basset Hound. Owner Claire Houghton had to cover the ornamental stones in her garden with plastic matting to stop Hector eating them – but he tunnelled underneath and continued his stony snacks. After vomiting and refusing to walk one morning, he was taken to the vet where X-rays showed a pebble in his intestine and one in his stomach.
Elizabeth Sharples, principal vet at Vets Now in Chippenham, who operated on Hector, said: “Some dogs will eat literally anything and, as Hector’s case shows, this can be very dangerous. Owners who have a dog who eats stones or other ‘foreign objects’ should keep a close eye on their pet’s behaviour and health.”
Source: Read Full Article