A dog owner has told of how her puppy had a lucky escape after narrowly avoiding being bitten by a snake at her home on Easter Saturday.
Natalie Garrod, from Llanegan, near Abersoch, north Wales, was came rushing out after her eight-month-old French Bulldog began barking at an adder.
She told NorthWalesLive: "We ran out to check what was happening and we saw the snake ready to strike the little dog.
"Luckily we managed to grab him just in time and get him away."
The 41-year-old said it was the second snake they've had in the last three days.
Adder's are venomous snakes with black-brown pattern along their backs and V or X shaped markings on the back of the heads.
"It's a bit scary as we have to make sure all the doors are closed to the house during the summer to make sure none of the snakes get inside," she added.
Natalie and her family members said they regularly see snakes in the garden when the warm weather arrives.
Her Boston terrier was bitten once and her boxer had been attacked in the past three years.
She said: "It is awful sometimes. I think people know to look out for snakes in the wild and on the beach but they don't always think they could show up in their own back garden.
Natalie wants to warn people that snakes are not just a danger on beaches and in the wild and is urging people to be alert.
Vets had warned dog owners before the Easter weekend to beware of snake bites.
She said her neighbour had seen snakes slithered from his house to her house.
"We think that they are coming to our pond to get to the water – we're pretty sure there is a nest somewhere. I've probably seen about 40 snakes – sometimes it can be two or three a day in the summer," she added.
Natalie contacted the council about the concerns but she was told that there's nothing to they can do.
Adders are a protected species by the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 – this means that it is an offence to kill, harm, injure, sell or trade them.
Source: Read Full Article