Prince William is set to ‘step up into a statesman’ role during the coronavirus crisis and he and Kate Middleton will lead The Firm and be ‘pillars of support’ for the nation, royal expert claims
- Prince William, 37, is ‘stepping up into a statesman role’ during coronavirus crisis
- Royal expert Katie Nicholl revealed the Duke will continue to ‘address the nation’
- Comes after Prince William was first royal to address country during pandemic
- Katie said this was ‘significant’, saying he and Kate, 38, were ‘best placed’ to help
- Coronavirus symptoms: what are they and should you see a doctor?
The Duke of Cambridge is set to ‘step up into statesman role’ during the coronavirus crisis and will lead the royal family’s efforts to support the nation, an expert has revealed.
Prince William, 37, was the first member of the royal family to speak to the nation during the crisis in a video released last week, and joined Kate Middleton, 38, to visit an NHS 111 centre on Friday.
And speaking to Australian website 9Honey, Katie Nicholl said the move was ‘significant’, adding that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were the ‘best placed’ members of the royal family to be ‘pillars of support’ for the nation at the moment.
She revealed: ‘We’re seeing William step up in that statesman role. It strikes me as interesting that the first member of the royal family to address the nation has been William.’
Prince William, 37, and Kate Middleton, 38, are ‘best placed’ to lead the royal family in their efforts to support the nation during the coronavirus outbreak, according to royal expert Katie Nicholl (pictured together visiting NHS staff last week)
Katie said the decision would have been ‘cleared by Buckingham Palace’ before Prince William’s video was released.
The expert explained that the Queen, 93, ‘needs’ to be ‘pretty much in quarantine’ in Windsor due to her age.
Meanwhile Prince Charles, 71, and Princess Anne, 69, are also among those most at risk of the disease and fall into the higher-risk age group for coronavirus as they are both over 65.
She said the mood at Buckingham Palace had been ‘Keep Calm and Carry On’ but as the crisis ramped up, there were ‘too many risks’ for the royals to carry on as normal.
Katie revealed that the Duke of Cambridge has taken on a ‘statesman role’ during the outbreak and called his address to the nation last week ‘significant’
Katie explained that the Queen had send the message that it was business as usual for as long as she could, but due to the ‘many risks’ of the virus, she couldn’t continue to carry out the work she was doing.
The royal expert explained that left Kate and William ‘best placed’ to lead the family’s efforts and support the nation.
Katie revealed: ‘Obviously William and Kate aren’t in the vulnerable sector, therefore they are perhaps the best placed or among the best placed of the royal family to be able to help at the moment.’
She also said Kate and William are now temporarily diverting their attention from their key work, and instead focus on supporting the nation as it tries to cope with the pandemic.
Meanwhile Katie said the Queen, 93, ‘needs’ to ‘pretty much be in quarantine’ because of her age, while Prince Charles also falls into the at-risk age bracket (pictured together at the Commonwealth Service earlier this month)
Katie added the couple wanted to continue to work ‘as long and as safely’ as they can, to act as ‘pillars of support’ for the wider community.
And she explained that senior members of the royal family, including Kate and William, would continue to send messages of support for the nation in order to ‘connect with the public’.
On Friday, the Duke and Duchess became the first royals to visit coronavirus frontline health workers, as they met staff at a London NHS 111 call centre.
It came after the Kensington Royal Twitter account shared a video of the Duke last week giving a speech about the current crisis, where he can be heard saying: ‘The way that local communities support those affected shows the very best of our values and human nature.’
Earlier in the week, sources told Vanity Fair that the Duke and Duchess ‘wanted to help’ and were ‘revamping’ their work in response to the coronavirus outbreak.
Source: Read Full Article