HIV positive prisoner squirted urine and faeces over guards from toothpaste tube

An inmate with HIV squirted urine and faeces from a toothpaste tube over prison guards who were left fearing they were infected with the disease.

Miles Atkinson, 34, increased the officers' concerns by claiming the mixture also contained semen, although it was later accepted it did not.

The inmate told another warden at HMP Altcourse: "I don't get it, it was only st, p and a bit of s****."

Three of the prisoner's victims faced an agonising week-long wait until they got the all-clear, Liverpool Crown Court heard.

The wing manager was hit in the face and on his shirt and trousers, while a "considerable amount" went in another male officer's mouth, the Liverpool Echo reports.

A female officer said she too was hit in her face, arms and legs, while it also splashed on the right arm of another woman,

Atkinson was on remand in custody at the Fazakerley prison on July 27 last year, after twice assaulting the mother of his child.

Edward Haygarth, prosecuting, said due to previous "unpredictable and bizarre behaviour" he was on "three-person lockdown".

That meant he had to be escorted by three officers, who took him from his cell to a medical department at around 4pm.

On the way back he became "agitated", started speaking what "appeared to be nonsense" and was reluctant to go in his cell.

The wing manager talked to him but as he went to close the door, Atkinson "sprayed the contents of a toothpaste tube at him".

Mr Haygarth said: "Regrettably most of the mixture subsequently landed on the officers."

The guards went to wash, shower and change their clothes, before the two male officers and first female attended hospital.

Mr Haygarth said they had to undergo blood tests and receive Hepatitis B injections.

He said: "They were to a large extent precautionary measures required to some extent because the defendant had been announcing to the prison he was HIV positive. Regrettably it appears that is the case."

Another officer spoke with Atkinson at around 4.50pm and asked him if he had realised what he had done.

He replied: "It's only been there for three days, what have I done wrong?"

When interviewed last November he said he was aiming for the wing manager.

He said at the time he was not of sound mind and had been trying for two weeks to get medication for his mental illness and HIV.

Atkinson was charged with four counts of administering a noxious substance with intent to the four guards.

However, prosecutors accepted a guilty plea to one count, in relation to the wing manager, and three counts of battery.

Prosecutors said the mixture was not analysed and it was accepted it did not contain semen.

The wing manager said he was "humiliated", while he and his colleagues who went to hospital feared contracting HIV.

Source: Read Full Article