Looking for a fierce baby name that will do justice to your super-strong little lady? Then you can’t go wrong with one that means “warrior” — in any language. Whether you go literal with a name meaning “soldier” or angle broader and give your girl a moniker that channels courage or bravery, there are plenty of picks for the fiery badass you’re about to raise up right.
Here are some of our favorite strong female names that mean “warrior” — names from countries all around the world.
Irish girl names meaning warrior
- Aife was a female warrior and a sorceress from Ireland who lived in Scotland with other Druid women, initiating and training young Celtic noblemen in the arts of love and war.
Greek girl names meaning warrior or victory
- Aella is the Greek and Latin variant form of Greek Aellô, meaning “storm wind; whirlwind.” In Greek mythology, Aella was a double-axe-wielding Amazon warrior who was killed by Herakles.
- Alala is a Greek name meaning “war-like.” In mythology, Alala was the sister of Ares and personification of the war cry.
- Andronika is the feminine form of the Greek name Andronikos, meaning “victory of a man/warrior.”
- Ptolema is the feminine form of Greek Ptolemy, meaning “aggressive, warlike.”
German girl names meaning warrior
Muslim girl names meaning strong or powerful
- Amira: Meaning “imperial”
- Kyda: Meaning “strong”
- Natasha: Meaning “strong”
- Nyla: Winner, champion
- Parveen: Meaning “noble”
- Qadira: Capable, powerful
- Uzma: Meaning “greatest”
Norse girl names meaning warrior or strong
- Borghildr is an Old Norse name meaning “helpful battle maid.” In mythology, Borghildr was the goddess of the evening mist who slayed the sun every night.
Welsh girl names meaning warrior
Roman girl names meaning warrior, fighter
- Bellona is a Roman name derived from the Latin word bellum (“to fight”). In mythology, Bellona was a goddess of war. Predating both Mars and Ares, she may have been the Romans’ first war deity.
- Camilla is a feminine form of Roman Latin Camillus, possibly meaning “attendant (for a temple).” In mythology, Camilla was a warrior maiden and queen of the Volsci.
- Enyo is the Greek counterpart of Roman Latin Bellona, meaning “warlike.” In mythology, Enyo was a goddess of war known as the “waster of cities,” depicted as being covered in blood and carrying weapons, and a companion (possibly sister or mother) of Ares.
Teutonic girl names meaning warrior
- Brunhilde was a royal maiden who reigned beyond the sea, according to Scandinavian folklore.
French girl names meaning warrior
Gaelic girl names meaning warrior
- Ailbhe is an Irish Gaelic unisex name, possibly derived from the word albho, meaning “bright” and “white.” In Irish legend, Ailbhe was a female warrior of the Fianna.
English girl names meaning warrior
A version of this article was originally published in September 2016.
For more inspiration, here are all the celebrity baby names we wish we’d thought of first.
Source: Read Full Article