STI symptoms you should never ignore – including pain when urinating

Sexual activity can come with the risk of sexually transmitted infections.

Many sexually transmitted diseases can be hard to distinguish or tell apart, often due to the overlapping symptoms – or lack of them entirely.

Trichomoniasis and chlamydia are two of the most common STDs, and they can be particularly difficult to tell apart.

If chlamydia is left untreated, it can spread to the womb and cause a serious condition called pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). This is a major cause of ectopic pregnancy and infertility in women.

If you have trichomoniasis you are at higher risk of getting HIV (the virus that causes AIDS) if you are exposed.

One thing that can cause a problem when diagnosing STIs is that symptoms can be very similar. Here we take a look at the most common symptoms of trichomoniasis and chlamydia – and how to differentiate between the two.

Trichomoniasis symptoms in women

  • Irritation/itching around the vaginal area
  • Frothy/discoloured discharge
  • Strong odour
  • Pain during intercourse
  • Pain when urinating

Trichomoniasis symptoms in men

Most men do not present symptoms. When they do, these are some of the signs to watch out for:

  • Pain when urinating
  • Pain when ejaculating
  • Discharge
  • Discomfort in the crotch area

Symptoms of chlamydia

  • Pain when urinating
  • Frothy/discoloured discharge
  • Pain in lower abdomen
  • Pain in crotch area
  • Pain during intercourse

Differences between trichomoniasis and chlamydia

Trichomoniasis is a STI caused by a parasite known as TV, or Trichomonas vaginalis, whereas chlamydia is caused by bacterial infection.

Trichomoniasis displays more symptoms in women rather than men whereas chlamydia symptoms are found more in both genders equally, according to health website Everlywell.

While trichomoniasis often only affects the genitals, chlamydia can also affect the anus, mouth and eyes.

If you display any of the symptoms above, you should to to see your GP or visit a local sexual health clinic.

You will need to do a test to see whether you have trichomoniasis or chlamydia.

Source: Read Full Article