With lockdown rules set to further ease and the weather getting warmer, the return of the good old BBQ is upon us.
No matter what the tradition looks like in your household, there’s nothing quite like sitting in the garden with good company and good food.
But sometimes it’s enjoyable to break from tradition, and that might start with switching up the menu on offer.
Aldi have collaborated with chefs Judy Joo and Mike Reid to create recipes for alternative BBQ dishes for their Raising the Bar-beque campaign.
For a change that’s just as delicious as you regular BBQ lineup, try these six options which go from starters to mains to desserts.
There’s an aubergine side, teriyaki salmon and cookie dough finale in amongst the recipes that will suit a range of cooking skill levels.
Grilled nectarine salad
Judy’s recipe serves four people.
- 90g rocket leaves
- ¼ cup walnuts, toasted and crushed
- 1 log goat’s cheese, cut into 12 slices
- 2 ripe nectarines, pitted, and cut into eighths
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Tip: Use unflavoured dental floss to cut the goat’s cheese. It cuts it much cleaner than a knife and keeps the attractive round shape.
Mike’s recipe serves four.
- 4 aubergines, cut in half
- 1tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 lime juiced
- 100ml olive oil
- 1 cucumber, diced small
- 100ml Soya yoghurt
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- Parsley a few sprigs, fresh
Fillet steak sandwich
Mike’s recipe serves one.
- 150g fillet steak
- 1 egg
- 1tbsp red pepper and jalapeno chutney
- 1 plum tomato, sliced
- 15g rocket
- ½ onion, sliced & sautéed
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp mayonnaise
- 1 ciabatta roll
Cinnamon teriyaki salmon
Judy’s recipe serves four.
- 1 package 500g side salmon
- 150ml Soy sauce
- ½ cup (100g) white sugar
- ½ tbsp (5g) dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5g) sea salt
- 1 small wedge (30g) pineapple, peel removed, grated
- 3 good pinches (0.2g) cinnamon powder
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and grated
- 1 tbsp (15g) ginger, peeled and grated
- 1/8 tsp (0.2g) freshly ground black pepper
Chilli garlic ginger oil:
- 80ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red chilli, roughly chopped
- 5 slices ginger
- 4 garlic cloves in skin, crushed
- ½ lemon, cut into 3 wedges
- 5-8 stems tenderstem broccoli, trimmed
- 2 lemons, halved, grilled
- 1 aubergine, sliced, grilled
- 2 packs of Aldi rice (special whole grain, wild & red rice and special quinoa, pumpkin & sunflower seeds rice)
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced on a bias
- 1 tbsp corn flour
Grilled balsamic basil strawberry sundae
Judy’s recipe serves four.
For the strawberry compote:
- 8 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 6 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 fresh basil sprigs, optional
- 12 large strawberries, halved, and tops removed
For the mascarpone cream:
- 1/2 tub (125g) mascarpone
- 125ml double cream, whipped to soft peak
- 35g icing sugar
- ½ lemon, zest only
For the grilled cake:
- 2 slices of Aldi lightly fruited cake
- Cut two slices about 1 cm thick. Place on grill and cook until marked and slightly toasted. Cut into dice sized pieces.
- Aldi Specially Selected vanilla ice cream
- Aldi Butter Pecans, crushed
- 1 Aldi Oaties Cookies, crushed
- Aldi Caramel Waffles, cut into quarters
- Sprigs of fresh basil, optional
Double chocolate chip cookie dough
Mike’s recipe serves four to six.
- 250g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 125g butter, unsalted
- 100g light brown sugar
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g dark chocolate block
- 100g white chocolate chips
- Vanilla ice cream to serve
Do you have a story to share? We want to hear from you.
Get in touch: [email protected]
Source: Read Full Article