WOMEN are avoiding working out because they feel ‘intimidated’ by going to the gym, a study has found.
Almost half of women feel judged when they try and exercise, with a whopping 70 per cent of those aged between 18 and 24 admitting they fear getting a negative reaction.
Despite £300 spent every year on gym classes and workout gear, most goes unused as Brits shun the gym in favour of watching TV, browsing online or doing nothing at home.
Women are put off going the gym for a variety of reasons, with 37 per cent believing others will see them as ‘not good enough’ to exercise.
A further 28 per cent don’t feel attractive while hitting the gym, with a third fearing they don’t know what they’re doing.
Other off-putting factors are getting 'red and sweaty', not being able to afford the gym, feeling intimidated by male trainers and not liking how they look in workout gear.
Top ten reasons for avoiding a work-out
1. Not having enough money for the gym/classes (27%)
2. Feeling too intimidated by the gym (25%)
3. Worrying about looking unfit in front of other people (21%)
4. Worrying about what other people think of me (19%)
5. Not knowing how to use machinery or exercise efficiently (16%)
6. Worrying about getting too red and sweaty (15%)
7. Fear of not being good enough (14%)
8. Feeling that I need to be better before I work out in public (14%)
9. Feeling intimidated by the gym because of male trainers (14%)
10. Not liking how I look in workout clothing (12%)
The study of 2,000 people, commissioned by Sure Women, also found that despite the lack of exercise reported, 67 per cent of Brits wished they worked out more.
Dr Sarah Jarvis, an expert in women’s health, said: “Exercise has been touted to be a cure for so many things in life; from depression to memory loss.
“A variety of studies warn that sedentary lifestyles are likely to be causing as many deaths as smoking and certain types of cancers but there are incremental changes women can make to their everyday lives that will see their movement increase and thus the benefits that come with that activity.”
Do you roll on or spray? Whichever you prefer, our Advanced Protection range offers 50% more powerful protection for up to 72 hours . . . #surewomen #deodorant #antiperspirant #noodour #antiodour #antisweat #promovement #advancedprotection #fitfam #staydry #staycool #summer #weekend #sunday
A post shared bySure UK & Ireland (@sure) on
And this new mum has revealed how she shed five stone while still eating curries and pizza.
Plus we revealed these kids’ ‘fussy’ dinner habits were actually an eating disorder.
Meanwhile we shared how to lose weight fast and blast belly fat by eating more of these five foods.
Source: Read Full Article