A PARAMEDIC has issued a warning to parents revealing why removing your child's nappy in a burns accident should always be the first thing you do.
The mum and CEO of the Australian parenting organisation Tiny Hearts Education, Nikki Jurcutz, said nappies are designed to adsorb liquid, so if a child is burnt by hot water, it can cause serious injury.
In fact, the advanced life support paramedic said in a clip shared on Instagram that they absorb liquid and can cause injury quicker than holding the blistering heat against your child's skin.
What's more, because of how nappies are designed to work, parents might not be able to see that hot liquid has been spilled on the area, so you must always remove it straight away.
Alongside the video, she wrote: "If your bub sustains a burn, one of the first things you'll need to do is remove any items of clothing or jewellery that aren't stuck from the burn site. This is where nappies come in.
"If it's stuck, leave it and fill it with cool running water [while simultaneously cooling the burn] to remove the heat from the nappy.
FABULOUS BINGO: GET A £5 FREE BONUS WITH NO DEPOSIT REQUIRED
"Don't worry about carefully taking it off; rip it if you have to. Your priority right now is cooling the burn, waiting for the ambulance, comforting your child and removing items that aren't stuck, with nappies being one of the first things I want you to reach for to remove that hot water from the genital area."
Nikki also showed how quickly the nappy can adsorb water to help parents understand the message.
Thousands of parents who saw the post and were thankful for the tip, as many admitted they hadn't known to always remove the nappy first.
"This isn't something that I have thought about before, thanks so much for the tips,' one mum said, and many others agreed.
"Never would have thought of this," another admitted.
While a third wrote: "I have done five first aid courses and have never been told to do this, thankyou."
Others praised Tiny Hearts dubbing it a "brilliant resource" for parents while some shared their own personal horror stories.
One said: "My daughter poured boiling water all down her chest at 14/15months old. She ripped her own shirt up ripping the skin of and then we sat in the bath for about 30 minutes while the ambulance came."
Before adding: "She passed out from exhaustion and pain. Thankfully she didn’t need skin grafts as the young new paramedic sprayed cold saline the entire 30min ambulance ride to the hospital."
Elsewhere in parenting, the secret signs your child is a genius… and it’ll make you pleased they ask ALL those questions.
See how one mum only has to visit the grocery store once every three weeks as she shares tricks to make food stay fresh longer.
And I had no idea I was pregnant – I went into labour alone on a boat, my bloke slept through the whole thing.
Source: Read Full Article