Doctor Who fans fume and brand show ‘woke’ as iconic villain Davros returns standing and able-bodied rather than in his life support unit
Doctor Who fans have been left furious after iconic villain Davros made a comeback to the show looking totally different.
The Daleks’ creator was seen standing up and not disfigured as Julian Bleach reprised the role on Friday for a Children In Need special.
Sci-fi character Davros had been seen in a mobile life support unit while looking languished since 1975.
But during the charity special he looked able-bodied and in a much healthier state.
Showrunner Russell T Davies said he disliked the fact Davros was a ‘wheelchair-user who is evil’.
All change: Doctor Who fans have been left furious after iconic villain Davros made a comeback to the show looking totally different (pictured)
Looking back: Sci-fi character Davros had been seen in a mobile life support unit while looking languished since 1975 (pictured)
He explained: ‘A lot of us on the production team did too, associating disability with evil.’
But the change left fans unimpressed, with many taking to Twitter to express their frustration.
One person wrote: ‘I’d actually much rather they left Davros in the past rather than try and do some re-write of history.’
Someone else shared: ‘Daleks can move outside of the shell, Davros cannot. It is his wheelchair.’
‘I like the Change if it takes place before Genesis of the Daleks. I hate it if it replaces the tenacious and deadly Davros. (Which according to RTD it does),’ wrote another show fan.
One other show fan posted: ‘My granddad was a disabled WWII vet, very self-sufficient despite being in a wheelchair & was also an activist for disability access; he wouldn’t have had a problem w/Davros since he’s a strong character who succeeded & overcame obstacles despite his disability!’
While someone else shared: ‘I guess i see where theyre coming from with “Davros is harmful representation” but I do think it’s incredibly lame they got rid of the forehead eye you should keep that no matter what.’
It comes after Ncuti Gatwa has said a Doctor Who legend will be brought back from the dead as he revealed some series 14 secrets this week.
Opinion: The change left fans unimpressed, with many taking to Twitter to express their frustration
The actor, 31, who is set to make history as the first black male Time Lord, made the admission while attending GQ magazine’s Men of the Year Awards on Wednesday.
Speaking to The Mirror on the red carpet, he explained: ‘I shouldn’t say this but I shot a scene, somehow, with the first-ever Doctor, William Hartnell. We end up in the same scene together at some point.’
The late William Hartnell was the first Doctor and played the role from 1963 to 1966, starring in 137 episodes. He passed away in December 1975, aged 67, after suffering a series of strokes.
The actor last reprised his role as The Doctor in The Three Doctors over Christmas / New Year of 1972. This was his final on screen appearance due to his declining health.
Ncuti added: ‘To see that history – now a Black man as the Doctor! It was just very wild.’
Doctor Who has been produced by the BBC since 1963 and when it was first released, was intended to be a regular weekly programme aired on Saturday evenings.
It originally ran for 26 seasons from November 23, 1963 to December 6, 1989, it was intended to be an educational show for family viewing to teach its younger audience about history as the Doctor travelled through time with its companions, a history and science teacher.
Exciting: Ncuti Gatwa, 31, has said a Doctor Who legend will be brought back from the dead as he revealed some series 14 secrets at GQ magazine’s Men of the Year Awards last Wednesday
On screen: The actor is set to make history as the first black male Time Lord next year
Ncuti became a household name when he starred as gay teenager Eric Effiong in the Netflix comedy-drama series Sex Education.
The Rwandan-Scottish star has yet to make his debut as a Dalek-battling Time Lord he has already raked in almost £1million from his acting career.
The actor was announced as the next Doctor by the show’s screenwriter Russell T Davies last year and has been busy filming for the 2024 series.
He will be the 15th actor to take on the full-time role of the Time Lord in the BBC series when he makes his debut later this year.
Source: Read Full Article