Love Island’s Molly-Mae Hague and Tommy Fury at centre of dog cruelty row as celebrity vet Marc Abraham calls for probe into death of puppy Mr Chai flown in from Russia
The founder of Lucy’s Law has called for a probe into the premature death of Molly-Mae Hague and Tommy Fury’s Pomeranian puppy, Mr Chai.
The devastated Love Island stars announced on Wednesday their dog, who was flown in from Russia, had tragically passed away, due to a seizure and host of neurological issues, just six days after welcoming him to the family.
Celebrity vet Marc Abraham who was behind Lucy’s Law campaign told The Mirror: ‘The Government has made it quite clear with Lucy’s Law you can’t sell a puppy without it having been seen with its mum in the place where it is born.’
Devastating: The founder of Lucy’s Law has called for a probe into the premature death of Molly-Mae Hague and Tommy Fury’s Pomeranian puppy, Mr Chai
Lucy’s Law campaign was created to end the scandal of animals being bred in cruel conditions and transported long distances to be sold.
It asserts that anyone wanting to welcome a new puppy or kitten in England must now buy direct from a breeder, or consider adopting from a rescue centre instead.
Licensed dog breeders are required to show puppies interacting with their mothers in their place of birth. It was named after a cavalier spaniel who was rescued after being kept in a cage on a puppy farm.
Heartache: The Love Island stars announced on Wednesday their dog, who was flown in from Russia, had tragically passed away, due to a seizure and host of neurological issues
Vet: Marc Abraham who is behind Lucy’s Law campaign said: ‘The Government has made it quite clear with Lucy’s Law you can’t sell a puppy without it having been seen with its mum’
Shock: Molly-Mae’s new puppy, gifted to her from boyfriend Tommy, was not from a registered breeder, The Kennel Club confirmed
Earlier on Wednesday, Molly-Mae, who was gifted the pooch by Tommy for her 21st birthday, addressed the backlash from importing Mr Chai from Russia, stating: ‘Whilst we completely understand everyone’s opinions about being shipped over from Russia, what you need to understand is that is not what made him die.
‘He was going to die regardless. The autopsy results showed his skull wasn’t fully developed and part of his brain was exposed. He didn’t have a single white blood cell in his body’.
‘If we had the time again we would have got a dog from the UK or got a rescue dog from the UK.’
Tommy bought the dog through Cheshire-based business Tiffany Chihuahuas & Pomeranians, which is licensed by Cheshire Council but not a Kennel Club assured breeder.
Breeder Elena Katerova has denied breaking the rules telling the publication, clients see the mother with their puppy via videos.
So sad: Earlier on Wednesday, Molly-Mae, who was gifted the pooch by Tommy for her 21st birthday, addressed the backlash from importing Mr Chai from Russia
She said: ‘I’m truly devastated to learn about the death of Mr Chai. He was a beautiful young dog with a loving, playful temperament. I’d watched him grow up, having regular video calls with his birth family.
‘My heart goes out to Molly-Mae and Tommy. Mr Chai was a healthy dog, I only work with trusted people and have a small network of reputable breeders who care for their dogs to the very highest standards and and see animals as part of their family.’
Back in 2018, the breeder came under fire when This Morning viewers saw the teacups dogs she was holding were shaking.
During the segment, Elena was involved in a debate whether owning ‘teacup dogs’ was a form of cruelty.
The miniature breeds, which can cost a potential owner £8,000, are prone to health problems as a result of their breeding.
While Elena insisted that they were healthy, vet Scott said that it was dangerous
MailOnline has contacted breeder Elena and Molly-Mae for comment.
In a video posted on Wednesday, the couple tearfully discussed their puppy Mr Chai’s death.
Puppy love: Speaking about receiving Mr Chai, Molly said he was ‘absolutely everything’, adding that the couple were both ‘nearly in tears’ when he came home to them
Molly-Mae told her viewers: ‘Neither of us wanted to film a video or talking about this but after everything we’ve seen today and reading everyone’s opinions, I think it’s really important that we actually do sit down and talk about it and explain how we are feeling and what we now know after receiving the autopsy results.’
After describing how Mr Chai was energetic in his first few days with them ‘as a puppy should be’, they soon noticed he started showing symptoms, with Tommy explaining: ‘His poo was runny, he was vomiting, he wasn’t running.’
The pair took him to the vet and Molly recalled that while waiting outside, she could ‘tell something was wrong’, adding Mr Chai was ‘wriggling’ and said dogs ‘almost know when they are about to die’.
Molly-Mae said 30 minutes later, the vet rang and informed them Mr Chai had had a seizure and died.
Upset: Meanwhile, the dog breeder they brought the pup shared her devastation over the pup’s death and insisted that he had been ‘healthy’
Heartbroken: On Tuesday, the reality star announced Mr Chai had died, six days after welcoming the pup into her home after receiving him for her 21st birthday present
‘We were both utterly shocked’, she explained. ‘Tommy literally just threw up everywhere’.
A representative of Molly-Mae and Tommy confirmed Mr Chai had died of ‘a seizure and neurological issues.’
A statement read: ‘Chai died of a seizure and neurological issues. This probably relating to the puppies skull not being fully formed (see note on anterior fontanelle below).
‘Chai passed away with a number of health issues outlined below and the puppy clearly was not at full health and potentially had been carrying an infection and fighting it for some time before reaching Molly and Tommy.’
It then listed a number of ailments the dog suffered from, including: ‘no white blood cells present in blood, anterior fontanelle not completely ossified, body condition 3/5, liver congested, spleen enlarged congested, adrenal glands enlarged, kidneys congested, colon congested, lungs congested and Heart right ventricle dilated.’
Mr Chai’s death has prompted several stars to speak up about the importance of researching when buying a dog.
Tough times: Mr Chai’s death has prompted several stars to speak up about the importance of researching when buying a dog. The couple set up an Instagram account for Mr Chai last week
Ashley James, 33, wrote: ‘Please please do your research before getting a pet. Do not import dogs from other countries unless they are rescues from charities. Please look into #lucyslaw and if you do go to a breeder then always make sure you see a fit and healthy mum!’
While Katie Piper said on Instagram: ‘PLEASE PLEASE if you are getting a puppy during lockdown or in general please think! Puppy farms are exploiting the demand.
‘Puppy farms in the UK are now illegal because of a new law (Lucy’s Law) and @pupaidofficial campaign. BUT puppies are coming in from Europe. Being torn from their mothers on horrendous puppy farms at only a few weeks old and driven here in vans, to be then dressed up and sold for huge prices.
‘They often die because of their treatment and trauma. When buying a puppy use a British registered breeder & ALWAYS ALWAYS meet the mum.’
Animal activist: Ashley James has encouraged her followers not to adopt pets from abroad unless it’s via an accredited charity
Source: Read Full Article