MASTERCHEF is back on our screens with a brand new series and a new batch of amateur cooks.
The 45 hopefuls will be be put through their paces – but there can only be one winner.
What prize does the MasterChef winner get?
John Torode and Gregg Wallace are back as judges for the cooking competition that has been running since 2005.
Forty-five passionate and talented hopefuls start the competition, before being whittled down to one winner.
The 2022 amateur chefs come from all walks of life including an NHS Worker, Theatre Director, Beer Bike Tour Guide, Childcare Worker, Bank Manager and Retired Head Teacher.
Their is no cash prize for the winner, but the champion gets to take home the coveted MasterChef trophy.
More on MasterChef
Here’s what the past MasterChef UK winners are up to now
Who are MasterChef judges John Torode and Gregg Wallace?
Rather than money, recognition, prestige and exposure is the main appeal of winning the contest.
In the past finalists have gone to open their own restaurants or have launched a culinary career.
The MasterChef trophy is the show’s logo; the letter ‘m’ surrounded by two circles.
It is made of polished aluminium and mounted on a tiered aluminium base.
latest on tv
bridge of love
Find out if Bridgerton is based on a book
bridge of love
Find out if there will be a third season of Bridgerton
Here's when you can catch MasterChef TONIGHT
Find out how many episodes of MasterChef there are
Makers of the award, Gaudio, say on their website: “The MasterChef trophy is instantly recognisable and is treasured by winners.”
The trophy was redesigned in 2012.
Where are the past winners now?
- Series 1, 2005 – Thomasina Miers. Became the co-founder of Wahaca chain of Mexican Restaurants.
- Series 2, 2006 – Peter Bayless. Published My Father Could Only Boil Cornflakes and teaches at various cookery schools.
- Series 3, 2007 – Steve Wallis. Became the group head of culinery innovation at Two Sisters Food Group.
- Series 4, 2008 – James Nathan. Opened The Green Room restaurant in Cornwall and took over St Enodoc Hotel in Rock.
- Series 5, 2009 – Mat Follas. Wrote two cookery books and opened Bramble Cafe and Deli in Dorset with his wife.
- Series 6, 2010 – Dhruv Baker. Wrote Spice: Layers of Flavour and children's cookery book Spice Story, and became co-owner of Earlsfield Kitchen and The Jolly Gardeners in Wandsworth
- Series 7, 2011 – Tim Anderson. Opened Nanban Japanese restaurant in Shoreditch and wrote Nanban: Japanese Soul Food.
- Series 8, 2012 – Shelina Permalloo. Wrote Sunshine On A Plate and opened Lakaz Maman restaurant in Southampton.
- Series 9, 2013 – Natalie Coleman. She has written her own cookbook and is Head Chef at The Winchmore pub in London.
- Series 10, 2014 – Ping Coombes. She published her first book in 2016 and is a culinary partner and executive chef.
- Series 11, 2015 – Simon Wood. Has opened his first restaurant, called Wood, in Manchester’s First Street.
- Series 12, 2016 – Jane Devonshire. Jane is currently writing her debut cookbook.
- Series 13, 2017 – Dr Saliha Mahmood Ahmed. Runs her own website where she hosts a seasoned cookery school.
- Series 14, 2018 – Kenny Tutt. He is opening a new two-floor restaurant in his home town – Worthing, which is expected to open in May.
- Series 15, 2019 – Irini Tzortzoglou. She has published her first book, Under the Olive Tree: Recipes from my Greek Kitchen.
- Series 1, 2020 – Thomas Frake. He took part in Fantastic Food Festivals for 2021.
- Series 17, 2021 – Tom Rhodes. He now has his own cookery website and is a food Influencer on Instagram.
When is the MasterChef final?
The BBC are yet to reveal an exact air date for the MasterChef final.
But as the show is playing out over seven weeks the last episode should air during the middle of May 2022.
As soon as we know, we'll report back here.
When is MasterChef on TV?
MasterChef will kick off TONIGHT (March 23, 2022) at 8pm on BBC One.
There will also be a double bill of the show on Friday (March 23, 2022) at 8pm.
Read More on The Sun
Inside Putin’s £500m superyacht with cinema & GOLD toilet roll holder
Why Ben Foden will never cheat on me like he did with ex Una Healy
The good news for fans is there are a whopping 24 episodes in the series.
The show will play out over seven weeks, and there will be three episodes a week.
Source: Read Full Article