You won’t miss the meat in these vegetarian “meatballs.”
- 3 medium zucchini
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 c. Thinly sliced basil
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
- 1 c. panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 c. finely grated Parmesan, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (24) oz. jar marinara sauce
- Grate the zucchini on a medium grater. Line a medium bowl with a kitchen towel. Add the grated zucchini. Season with salt to taste and toss with your hands. Pull up the sides of the towel and squeeze the zucchini until most of the excess moisture is removed.
- Transfer the dried zucchini to a clean bowl. Add the garlic, basil, panko and 1/4 cup Parmesan. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Form the zucchini mixture into small balls. You should end up with about a dozen.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the meatballs and fry on all sides until golden brown, about 8-10 minutes. Drain the meatballs on a plate lined with paper towels. Wipe the skillet clean, and pour in marinara sauce. Turn the heat to medium and add the zucchini meatballs back to pan. Let simmer in sauce for about 3-5 more minutes, or until the sauce is warmed through. Serve with more grated Parmesan.