Cook ribs lightning-fast with this easy method.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 rack St. Louis–style spare ribs (about 3 lbs.)
- kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. chopped chives, plus more for garnish
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. hot paprika
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds
- 1 orange
- 2 tbsp. ketchup
- 2 romaine hearts, cut in half lengthwise
- Preheat grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Cut ribs into 3 sections. Add to a large pot filled with water and 1 tablespoon salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Drain ribs and place on sheet pan. Dry well with paper towels.
- Meanwhile in a medium jar add mayonnaise, 3 tablespoons olive oil, Dijon, chives, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Shake well and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In the bowl of a mini prep or food processor add garlic, brown sugar, paprika, fennel seed, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Pulse until well incorporated. Spoon half of this rub mixture onto the ribs and rub all over with hands. To the remaining rub add the zest of 1 orange, 1/2 cup fresh orange juice, and ketchup. Stir well.
- Place ribs on grill or grill pan and cook for 10 minutes. Place romaine on grill for last minute. Brush glaze on ribs and cook for 1 minute more until lightly charred. Serve ribs with grilled romaine and drizzle of dressing. Garnish with chives.