- 2 refrigerated pie crusts (unbaked)
- 5 c. strawberries
- 3 c. blueberries
- 1/2 c. cornstarch, divided
- 3/4 c. sugar, divided (plus more for sprinkling)
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- egg wash (1 egg + 1 tbs. heavy cream)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Make the base. Roll out the base of the pie dough into a large rectangle, about 15×12-in. Transfer the dough into a 12x9x1-in baking sheet or jellyroll pan. Gently press the dough along the edges. Fold the edges under and crimp. Transfer to refrigerator while you prepare the other crust.
- Make the stars and stripes. Roll out a second piece of pie dough. Use about 1/4 of the dough to cut out stars with a small star cookie cutter. Using a paring knife (or pastry wheel), cut long 1-in thick stripes lengthwise using the rest of the dough. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make the fillings. In a medium bowl, add blueberries, 1/4 c. sugar, 1/4 c. cornstarch and the juice and zest of 1/2 lemon. Stir to combine. In a separate bowl, add strawberries, 1/2 c. sugar, 1/4 c. cornstarch and the juice and zest of 1/2 lemon. Stir to combine.
- Make the pie. Fold aluminum foil into a thin strip, about 1 1/2-in wide. Then fold the strip into a right angle about 5×4-in. Remove the base crust from the refrigerator and place the foil into the upper lefthand corner of the crust to form a small rectangle. Spoon the blueberry filling into the foil-lined rectangular portion. Then spoon the strawberry filling into the rest of the crust. Remove the foil.
- Assemble and bake! Then place pastry stars on top of the blueberry mixture. Lay the stripes lengthwise across the strawberry filling, leaving about 1-in between each stripe. Brush the egg wash onto the pie crusts and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 50 minutes, until pie crust is golden and the filling is bubbling. Let cool for at least an hour before serving.