Prince Harry and wife Meghan Markle have been urged by a coalition of politicians, senior military officials and respected historians to stay away from King Charles’ coronation amid the ongoing fallout from their Netflix documentary series.
The couple launched their highly anticipated Netflix series, Harry & Meghan last week, with number of controversial and damaging claims throwing into question any hope of a meaningful reconciliation between the couple and the rest of the Royal Family.
Now, just days on since the documentary’s release, a number of high profile sources, including one former Cabinet Minister have said the couple should “categorically not be” at next year’s Coronation, which will see Charles formally crowned the King on May 6th.
And according to a recent poll conducted by the Mail on Sunday, almost half of Brits are said to agree.
One prominent voice who agrees they should keep their distance is Iain Duncan Smith who told the publication: “If they dislike the Royal Family so much why would they attend the Coronation?”
Fellow Tory veteran David Mellor also agreed, as he doubled down on the sentiment and said: “They make money out of selling their family down the river. I think it should be made clear that the British people do not want them there.”
He even went on to insist that should they decide to make the trip, the public would be “perfectly entitled to boo” the couple.
Historian and Author Lady Antonia Fraser, also expressed her concerns about a possible visit from the Sussexes, as she feared it would divert attention from the King and Queen on so prestigious a day.
The couple’s presence could also potentially raise a very serious security risk, with one security advisor even suggesting that by peddling a “false narrative” the couple could even give rise to people with a “fixation on the Royal Family” to attack them.
Whether “half-truth, lie, or mockery”, Dai Davies, the former head of royal protection expressed his concern over “what poison would come out next.”
The backlash comes just four days on from the release of the explosive tell all documentary, which accused the Royal Family of “unconscious bias” regarding race, alongside a mocking parody of a curtsey and even a scathing reference to the Queen’s Commonwealth as “Empire 2.0”.
Prince William is also said to have been less than impressed by Harry’s decision to include a clip of his mother Princess Diana ’s infamous Panorama interview, despite previously being asked not to show it.
The palace itself has also refused to back down, after Netflix claimed it approached them for comment prior to the series release.
In the opening card of the show, a statement can be clearly said which reads: “Members of the Royal Family declined to comment on the content within this series.”
The palace initially disputed this claim entirely, saying nobody had been contacted, but did later clarify that they did receive an email from a third party production company, but claimed it was not from Harry and Meghan's Archewell foundation or Netflix.
According to the Palace, both the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Netflix were both then contacted by them to verify whether the email was genuine, but received no reply.
“In the absence of this verification, we were unable to provide any response. The substance of the email we received also did not address the entire series,” a source told Press Association.
To read the very best of today’s OK! content from breaking news to Royals and TV – CLICK HERE
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle drop unseen footage of Netflix doc and reveal wedding secret
Meghan Markle's half brother says she hasn't spoken to dad Thomas amid Netflix drama
Prince William 'gutted' for England as they lose against France in World Cup
For all your daily celebrity news and gossip, sign up to OK!’s newsletter – CLICK HERE
Source: Read Full Article