Yes, marijuana is known for its ~mind-altering~ effects, but weed doesn’t stop there. If you’re a person who’s ever toked up and then gotten down, you know weed can have a… noticeable effect on your sex life. Here are 14 ways weed can affect sex, because I couldn’t quite come up with 420.
1. Doing it high once makes you wanna do it high a lot more times. An in-depth, qualitative study from the Archives of Sexual Behavior on how alcohol and weed affect sex found that some couples say crave “more sex after the first sexual episode on marijuana.” Or in other words, they so enjoyed sex on weed that they want to keep having sex on weed.
2. It can get your 😎 vagina 😎 high. In this, our modern world, weed lube exists. If you’re reading this post, you have probably heard of it. But if not: Welcome. Produced by a company called Foria, the lube is totally legal (if you live in California or Colorado) and contains THC oil — the active ingredient in marijuana that gets you high. One Cosmo writer described the vagina-high feeling as “a mellow high that felt like a warm and very sexual hug.”
3. It might make your hornier. According to New York Magazine, ancient texts commonly refer to weed as an aphrodisiac. Lester Grinspoon, a retired Harvard Medical School professor known as “the grandfather of modern medicinal cannabis research,” told NY Mag that weed has the propensity to “enhance a variety of human experiences,” one being ~sexual~ experience. One 26-year-old said weed’s relaxing effects make her super horny, and said sex on weed is “akin to vacation sex.” VACATION SEX. The holy grail of all sex.
4. Also, it might make your orgasms more intense and long-lasting. One straight guy told NY Mag that pot tends to make time move more slowly for him, which also means brief things seem to last longer. “Orgasms seem to last for 30 seconds and are incredibly intense,” he said. “The best orgasms I’ve ever had have been while stoned, whether with another person or solo.”
5. Sex might feel like it’s lasting way longer… When asked, guys generally say smoking marijuana before boning increases their sexual stamina and helps them last longer.
6. But preliminary studies suggest it actually makes it harder for dudes to… stay hard. The thing about being high is that *you’re high*. Contextualizing time isn’t exactly a strong suit for stoned people. “While the conclusion that marijuana helps guys last longer in bed is tempting, we cannot rule out the possibility that this drug simply alters men’s perception of time,” Justin Lehmiller, a sex educator and researcher at Ball State University, wrote in Playboy. “Sex might seem to last longer when you’re high, but the actual amount of time you spend having sex might not really be any different from when you’re sober.”
7. It’ll spark your appetite for some sexy, post-coital Doritos. The munchies are real, folks. What’s more intimate than feeding each other piping hot Totinos pizza rolls in bed? For get brunch and dinner — snack is the most romantic meal of the day.
8. And it ALSO might make you attracted to people you’re not usually into. Some participants in that big, qualitative study on weed and sex said their partners look “more attractive” when they’re high.”When I’m high … the people I’m attracted to, I’m not at all attracted to sober,” a 22-year-old woman said. “They should be called ‘weed goggles,’ because it’s much worse on marijuana than on alcohol.” If you’re not the sort of person who’s down to sober up and come to grips with the fact that you effed that weird dude who lives down the hall, this is probably a weed downside.
9. Being high can make it so hard to focus that you can’t even orgasm. Lol, this is kind of funny. But also 😰. Some women from the Archives of Sexual Behavior study have reported getting high makes it so hard to concentrate that they can’t quite reach orgasm. So you could be fucking forever to no (orgasmic) avail.
10. It might also make it hard for women to get “naturally lubricated.” Think about it. What is a side effect of smoking weed? Cottonmouth. If it’s capable of making your mouth feel like a desert, it’s probably also capable of making your vagina feel like a desert. Some woman from the qualitative study complained that being high didn’t make sex better because it just made it harder for them to get (and stay) “naturally lubricated.”
11. And if you overdo it, you may just skip sex altogether in favor of a nice long nap. Chelsea Cebara, a woman who teaches sex and cannabis workshops in Seattle, told ThrillIst that getting too high can backfire on your sex life in that it makes you too sleepy to have any. Don’t eat a whole pot brownie and then expect to feel horned up and ready to go. “Stay away from edibles unless you’re really sure how you’ll react, because if you end up at the wrong place your evening is negatively impacted,” she said.
Follow Hannah on Twitter.