Move over black liner – summer calls for colour. To tackle this trend, first do your eye base and mascara as usual (we used the new Revlon Mega Multiplier Mascara, £9.99, which combines tubing and fibres for fat lashes that can be built upon when dry) and then follow the three steps below.
– Using a navy eyeliner like the Smashbox Always On Gel Eye Liner in Bouncer, £18, apply your first line tight to the lashes, and winged out as far as the length of your brows.
– Next, trace that line with an aqua green colour like the Revlon ColorStay 2 in 1 Angled Kajal in Evergreen, £7.99, overlapping the original liner slightly so it leaves half of the navy line exposed.
– Sweep a gold eyeliner (such as the Urban Decay 24/7 Glide On Eye Pencil in Scorch, £15.50) or cream shadow (like the Revlon ColorStay Crème Eye Shadow in Caramel, £6.99) underneath the lower lash lines.
An inner eye highlight is one of the oldest awakening tricks in the book. This season, try it with a subtle flash of colour which is more interesting and flattering than a pure white shade. This works with any eye make-up look – be it bare or smoky – so do that first, then follow the below and finish with mascara.
– Apply a reflective base to the tear duct such as the Revlon ColorStay Crème Eye Shadow in Crème Brulee, £6.99. This will make the accent last much longer.
– Next, apply a powder on top to set the highlight and add a tint of colour. Try the Bobbi Brown Shimmer Wash Eyeshadow in Lilac, £18.
Pink is the new black when it comes to a smoky eye – but that doesn’t apply to mascara. Use eye shadow or blusher to give your lids a rosy kiss, just don’t forget to define your lashes to detract from a bad night’s sleep instead of enhancing one.
– Apply a cream base such as the Revlon PhotoReady Insta-Blush in Berry Kiss, £9.99 all over the eyelids.
– Add a powder on top, softly blending it out towards the temples and underneath the lower lash line. Try the Mac Eyeshadow in Cherry Topped, £15.50.
– Finish with a smudge-proof mascara in a dense black shade like the Revlon Mega Multiplier Mascara in Blackest Black, £9.99.